Sunday, May 16, 2010

One More Hat to Wear

I am pleased to announce to my many blog readers that I have a new (additional) career in the works. By a series of remarkable accidents, I wrote seven articles for our local newspaper, the Charlottesville Daily Progress, two years ago on the subject of the NCAA Tennis Championships in Tulsa, Oklahoma. (I wrote them mostly because it was the only way I could get in free to the NCAA Tournament).

Earlier this Spring, the Daily Progress sent my seven articles to Wimbledon and requested a press pass for yours truly to cover the Wimbledon Tennis Championships for 2010. Believe it or not, Wimbledon approved the request. So, from June 12th to July 5th, I will be covering the Wimbledon Tournament for the Daily Progress as well as for local NBC news and local WINA radio (may as well go the whole route!). The tournament starts on June 21st, but I will be there early to cover the qualifying rounds as well. Two former UVA national tennis champions -- Somdev Devarrman and Dominic Inglot will be playing in the qualifying rounds and their results will be of interest to Charlottesville readers and media watchers.

I am now applying for the US Open, the Australian Open, and the 2011 French Open. I am entertaining offers for the rights to my forthcoming book (not yet begun): "My Life as an Ace Tennis Reporter."